Tony (A.R.) Gardner-Medwin - Teaching Publications
Dept. Physiology (NPP), University College London (UCL) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Home Page email: email@example.com CBM Self-Tests
Separate listings for : Research Publications
, Mixed Publications (chronological)
- 1995: Gardner-Medwin AR (1995) Confidence Assessment in the Teaching of Basic Science. ALT-J (Assoc. for Learning Technology Journal: now renamed Research in Learning Technology) 3:80-85.
- 1998: Issroff K & Gardner-Medwin AR (1998) Evaluation of Confidence Assessment within Optional Coursework. , In Innovation in the evaluation of Learning Technology. Ed. M.Oliver, Univ. N. London Press, pp169-179.
- 1998: Gardner-Medwin AR (1998) Updating with Confidence: Do your students know what they don't know?, Health Informatics 4:45-46
- 2003: Gardner-Medwin AR & Gahan M (2003) Formative and Summative Confidence-Based Assessment Proc. 7th International Computer-Aided Assessment Conference, Loughborough, UK, July 2003, pp. 147-155
- 2006: Gardner-Medwin AR (2006) Confidence-Based Marking - towards deeper learning and better exams In : Innovative Assessment in Higher Education (1st Ed.). Ed.: Bryan C and Clegg K. Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group, London
- 2007: Gardner-Medwin AR & Curtin NA (2007). Certainty-Based Marking (CBM) For Reflective Learning And Proper Knowledge Assessment. REAP Int. Online Conf. on Assessment Design for Learner Responsibility, May '07 (online)
- 2008: Cornwell R & Gardner-Medwin T (2008) Perspective on Certainty-Based Marking: An Interview with Tony Gardner-Medwin Innovate: J. Online Ed: 4 (3) Article 7
- 2011: Gardner-Medwin AR (2011) Reasonable Doubt: Uncertainty in Education, Science and Law. Proc.Brit.Acad. 171, 465-483. Ch.17 in Evidence, Inference and Enquiry (Ed. Twining W, Dawid P & Vasilaki D) OUP
- 2013: Gardner-Medwin A R (2013) Optimisation of Certainty-Based Assessment Scores IUPS 2013, Birmingham UK 22 July POSTER (Including Abstract)
- 2013: Curtin N & Gardner-Medwin A R (2013) Self-tests with Certainty-Based-Marking in Early Years of Medical Course IUPS 2013, Birmingham UK 22 July POSTER (Including Abstract)
- 2018: Gardner-Medwin AR (2018) The value of self-tests and the acknowledgement of uncertainty. Chapter 1.2 in Enhancing Learning and Teaching with Technology - What the research says (UCL IOE Press), ed. R.Luckin. MS of Chapter 1.2
- 2019: Gardner-Medwin AR (2019) Certainty-Based Marking: stimulating thinking and improving objective tests. Chapter 12 in Innovative Assessment in HE: a handbook for Academic Practice 2nd Edn. (Routledge), ed. C.Bryan & K.Clegg. MS of Chapter 12
Short articles, Abstracts and Presentations on CBM :
- 1995: IUPS Workshop on Teaching Physiology, Maastricht, Sept 1995 , A.R. Gardner-Medwin (unpublished abstract).
- 1996: Confidence Assessment in the Teaching of Physiology. , A.R. Gardner-Medwin & N.A. Curtin (1996) J.Physiol. 494:74P (abstract)
- 1997: UCL Newsletter 1997 , A.R. Gardner-Medwin & K.Issroff. Do you know what you don't know?
- 1999: Rational and Irrational Marking Schemes. , A.R. Gardner-Medwin (1999). J.Physiol. 515P:48P. (abstract)
- 2003: Dissemination of confidence-based assessment , A.R. Gardner-Medwin (2003) J Physiol 547P, C148
- 2004: Confidence-based marking: the proper exam strategy. Tony Gardner-Medwin (2004) Proc. HE Academy Conf. on Assessment for Learning: Sheffield-Hallam, Oct 2004 see Conference Proceedings
- 2005: Gardner-Medwin AR (2005) Confidence based marking – think it through 01.9 Newsletter of HeA Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicine, 01.9 Text (.doc)
- 2005: Gardner-Medwin AR, Curtin NA (2005): ISL (Improving Student Learning) Symp., Imperial College London, Sept 2005. The skill of knowing how reliable your knowledge is . Abstract , Slides (pdf) see Online Conference Proceedings
- 2005: Gardner-Medwin AR (2005) Confidence-Based Marking: encouraging rigour through assessment. Physiological Society Teaching Workshop,Bristol, July 2005. J Physiol 567P, WA10, Abstract , Slides (ppt) , Proceedings
- 2005: Shock of the Old Conference on "Implementing Innovation", Oxford, 7 April 2005, Gaining Confidence in Confidence-Based Assessment Abstract, Powerpoint file, Conference Programme
- 2005: Staff and Educational Development Association (SEDA) Conference, Belfast, 12-13 May 2005 Inspiring Care and Rigour by the use of confidence-based marking. Tony Gardner-Medwin. Abstract , Conference Programme
- 2005: Proc. Conf. on Learning Oriented Assessment, Hong Kong Inst Ed., 10 June 2005 Experience of Confidence-Based Marking. A.R. Gardner-Medwin (2005) , see Conference Proceedings
- 2005: 1st International Conference on "Enhancing Teaching and Learning through Assessment", Hong Kong 12-15 June, 2005 Abstract: Enhancing Learning and Assessment Through Confidence-Based Marking Tony Gardner-Medwin: see Conference Proceedings
- 2005: HE Academy Conf. on "Science Learning & Teaching", Warwick, 27-28 June 2005 Improving Learning and Assessment with Confidence-Based Marking Tony Gardner-Medwin Abstract , Poster (ppt file) , Proceedings
- 2006: Lunch-Hour Lecture, UCL, 21 Nov,'06 "Is there a measure of Knowledge?" Slides (.pdf) including dialogue based on an audience question (last 2 slides). Also: Video File. NB To follow the video you need to print out the PDF first, or view it while just listening to the recorded sound. The video resolution for the slides is very poor.
- 2006: Gardner-Medwin AR, Curtin NA (2006). Certainty-based marking at UCL and Imperial College. Physiological Society Teaching Workshop, Proc Physiol Soc series. , 3, WA4 Online Abstract , Slides (pdf)
- 2006: Gardner-Medwin AR (2006). Analysis of exams using certainty-based marking. Physiological Society Main Meeting, UCL, Proc Physiol Soc series. , 3, PC64 Online Abstract, Full Text (pdf)
- 2008: Gardner-Medwin AR (2008) Certainty-Based Marking: rewarding good judgment of what is or is not reliable Innovation 2008: Breckenridge CO, USA; April 2008
- 2009: Gardner-Medwin AR (2009) Marks for identifying uncertainty: stimulation of learning through Certainty-Based Marking. Cambridge Assessment, June 2009. PDF slides PPT slides
- 2010: Gardner-Medwin AR (2010) Develop understanding, with Self-tests & Certainty Based Marking. Leicester Univ. Teaching & Learning Day, April 2010 PDF slides
- 2010: Gardner-Medwin T, Jenner M & Roberts P (2010) Self-tests and CBM as learning tools - putting learners in charge. MoodleMoot UK, April 2010. PPT slides
- 2013: Gardner-Medwin T (2013) Certainty Based Marking: Benefits of a switch to CBM in self-tests and exams e-Assessment Scotland, 2013, Dundee 23 August Slides (pdf)
- 2013: Gardner-Medwin T (2013) Self-test exercises & exams with Certainty Based Marking (CBM): Switching to CBM CAA Southampton 10 July pdf of slides
- 2013: Gardner-Medwin T (2013) Certainty-based marking in self-tests and exams e-Assessment: Which Way Now? London Knowledge Lab, 16 May PDF Abstract & slides
- 2014: Gardner-Medwin T (2014) CBM selftests at UCL: The past and the future of LAPT : Poster (A0 pdf) for UCL SLMS Education Domain Event (20/11/14): A4 printable version
- 2014: Gardner-Medwin T (2014) Certainty Based Marking: Why, How & When? : Slides (pdf) for talks at UQ Brisbane (22/1/14) and USQ Toowoomba (29/1/14)
- 2015: Gardner-Medwin T (2015) Enhancing Student Learning and Insight : using private self-tests with CBM : Poster pdf for Conference: eLearning2.0 (29/7/15) at Brunel University, London
- 2019: Gardner-Medwin T (2019) Rewarding the identification of uncertain and confident answersTalk slides for Conference: APT2019 (1/7/19) at UCL
Webcasts, online events:
Publications related to General Teaching Issues
- 1979: Simple class apparatus for studying frog skin potentials. , Fraser PA, Gardner-Medwin A.R. & Malinowska DM (1979). J.Physiol. 292:10-11P.
- 1983: Ionic basis of membrane potentials and cellular equilibrium: a computer model for teaching. , Gardner-Medwin A.R. (1983). J.Physiol. 341:5-6P.
- Modern versions of this (under DOS and LABVIEW) are available within LAPT
- 1984: An application of the BBC microcomputer to teaching cell physiology. , Gardner-Medwin A.R. & Ribchester R (1984). J.Physiol. 353:12P.
- 2000: Stimulating Understanding: a 3-Pronged Approach. , A.R. Gardner-Medwin (2000). Exp. Biol. Online, 5:S88
- 2001: Introspection and Active Learning in Biomedical Study, A.R. Gardner-Medwin (2001) 34th IUPS Congress, Christchurch, NZ
- 2004: Software for Good Thoughts UCL Teaching & Learning Event, 2004
Talks (.ppt files)
Publications on Research - see separate listing